Submission Guidelines for The Rapid Eye:
**Submissions for the first issue are currently closed. We will open up submissions for the second issue in September. Thank you for your patience while we make the first issue available for purchase!**
Submissions will be considered for future issues on a rolling deadline. We follow a quarterly publishing schedule for print and digital formats.
We want your dreams!
The Rapid Eye is looking for flash fiction, poetry, and visual artwork set in or inspired by your nightly visions of wonder and terror. No dream is too strange, no subject is too taboo. The edgier and more gripping the better!
We welcome all genres and styles, from realism to sci-fi/fantasy, and are especially interested in pieces that capture the peculiar strangeness and emotional intensity of dreams. We are looking for raw visions and a focus on visceral, vivid, and immediate imagery. Give us dreams that feel as if you really lived through them, dreams that we can sink our teeth into and that will keep us up all night!
Your dreams can be on any subject. We are keeping our eyes especially peeled for reoccurring oneiric situations such as: secret passageways, sudden reversals, inexplicable pantslessness, doubles, magic powers, endless stairwells, strange creatures, psychogeography, epic quests, archetypal characters, socio-political transgression, mood lighting, thwartedness, chase scenes, prophecies, mistaken identities, flying and falling, impending doom, primal memories, feelings of irreality, mysterious artifacts, false awakenings, rotting teeth and fingers, subtle symbolism, a chaotic core, and no explanations!
And don’t forget, dreams don’t just come at night! The Rapid Eye will also consider visionary fictions and art drawing on other states of non-rational consciousness, such as spiritual epiphanies, madness, hallucination, revolutionary fervor, and the active imagination.
General Submission Information:
- We will read your dream fiction up to 1,500 words (for flash fiction) or 40 lines (for poetry).
- We will consider longer pieces of fiction or poetry with a query email ONLY.
- For art and illustration submissions, please send a query email including a link to your online gallery, as well as an indication of which pieces are dream related.
- If you have a book length manuscript or collection of dreams that fits our interests, please send us a query! The Rapid Eye would love to publish individual dream novels and chapbooks.
- We currently accept submissions via email. Send ALL submissions to moc.g1386342291ameye1386342291dipar1386342291@sbus1386342291.
- Email submissions must be saved in Microsoft Word (.doc) or Rich Text Format (.rtf).
- Please include your NAME and CONTACT INFORMATION on the manuscript itself.
- Subject line for email submissions should include the word SUB as well as the TITLE of the piece and the author’s LAST NAME.
- As the aesthetic of dreams draws on the repetition and transformation of symbolism across dreams, we welcome multiple submissions (limit, three pieces), as well as encourage return contributors.
- Response time: As we are a new magazine with a limited staff, The Rapid Eye will respond to your submissions and queries as soon as possible, but no later than 2 months. Your dreams are important to us and we want to give them the attention that they deserve.
- Payment: As The Rapid Eye is a new magazine with a limited budget, we would love to be able to pay our contributors, but are unable to do so at this time. Contributor payments will hopefully be possible with a successful first issue (or if our dreams of finding buried treasure come true!). In the mean time, all contributors will receive a complimentary issue of the magazine in which their work appears.
- Queries: Please send all queries and questions to us at: moc.g1386342291ameye1386342291dipar1386342291@roti1386342291de1386342291.
We are looking to get the first issue into print by late May, 2013, so keep dreaming and consider submitting your dreams to The Rapid Eye.
If you’ve struck buried treasure or are otherwise interested in helping us break through the barriers of the collective imagination, please consider donating to The Rapid Eye.
All monies received will go toward paying authors, web hosting, printing costs and other magazine expenses. Thank you for your support!
Keep your eyes peeled and your dreams to the teeth!